Stroke or Brain attack is a dire emergency which needs to be recognised and acted upon swiftly!
Though the general population is well sensitised to Myocardial Infarction or heart attack, brain strokes are generally ignored. The obvious reason is that, most often the affected person lapses into a state of unconsciousness silently, while a heart attack has more dramatic events with pain taking centre stage. Today, most of strokes can be safely reversed ( at least to a major extent) if the patient reaches the Stroke Unit on time, hence the term “ the golden hours”.
World Stroke Day 29thOctoberis a wonderful opportunity to spread awareness among Medical professionals and the general public about stroke, its causes, its emergency treatment, long term Management and more importantly Stroke Prevention.
Prevention is better than Cure and this statement is most apt for stroke! Today we are subjected to high work pressure, with erratic food habits and disordered sleep cycles. This World Stroke day, let us take a pledge to lead a healthy lifestyle, stay healthy and fight life style induced disorders and disabilities.
- Sitting is the new Smoking – so please include physical activity and exercise as a daily routine. This obviously means – No Smoking
- Our stomach is not the dumping bin! Watch your diet. Lets not over / under eat. There are no alternatives to a balanced dietof Carbs, protein and Fat with minerals and vitamins from food sources.
- Periodic check up to diagnose and treat – Hypertension (raised blood pressure) and Diabetes.
- Reduce STRESS! You know it best. The answer for the way to reduce the stress lies within us. A mismatch between Reality and expectation; the need and the want is the basic root cause of Stress in many.
- Beat the STRESS. Work related or unavoidable stress, beyond an individual limits needs to be tackled. The best and easiest ways are :
Physical Exercise ( sweat it out )
Deep breathing Exercise ( breath it out)
- Obesity is a disorder of mind. With will power and determination, strict diet and Exercise can be adopted and this is the best way to lose weight. If there is severe obesity, early bariatric surgery is definitely an option.
- Hydrate Drink enough water! A practice which is not followed anymore.
Every one should be aware of STROKE symptoms. A healthy individual if he//she develops sudden onset weakness of Limbs, facial asymmetry with deviation of mouth, speech difficulties or loss of consciousness with or without headache / fits ( seizures) – Please think of STROKE or BRAIN ATTACK.
Immediate medical attention is required as every minute can kill up to 1.9 million brain cells! Secondly, its not rare. Across the Globe, a person dies from Stroke every 10 seconds!
No age is immune! A lot of youngsters today develop life style disorders.
The Stroke victim, if he can reach the nearest Comprehensive Stroke Unit, within the the Golden hour of 4.5 hours, there is a good chance that the Stroke can be reversed. Today, a person need not be a prisoner within his own body, rather can be a STROKE survivorand lead an independent and productive life. But this success can only be achieved if the awareness regarding STROKE is created amongst common man. It is a good idea to figure out the details of the nearest Comprehensive Stroke Unit with telephone number in case of emergencies, remember: TIME is BRAIN.